[insert creative title here]

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Sovereignty of God

As some of you know, my theology has been changing over the past year-and-a-half to two years. My beliefs have become mostly "Calvinistic" as some would call it. However, I do not even prefer to use that term, because it's of the Word of God, not of John Calvin.

I came across this quote from Jonathan Edwards this morning as I was reading about another subject. This very much describes how I've felt during these past two years...

"From my childhood up, my mind had been full of objections against the doctrine of God's sovereignty in choosing whom He would to eternal life...It used to appear like a horrible doctrine to me. But I have often, since that first conviction, had quite another kind of sense of God's sovereignty than I had then. I have often since had not only a conviction, but a delightful conviction. The doctrine has very often appeared exceeding pleasant, bright, and sweet. Absolute sovereignty is what I love to ascribe to God. But my first conviction was not so."
--Jonathan Edwards

It's very comforting to me that not every believer straight off the bat believes in the absolute sovereignty of God. If Jonathan Edwards of all people felt that way -- wow, that sure makes me feel a little more sane. :)

1 Comments:

  • Haha, yeah, though I'm not disposed to that terminology. I simply see those truths in God's Word.

    I thought you might find this post interesting. ;)

    By Blogger Katharsis, at July 30, 2006 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home