[insert creative title here]

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Am I of Christ?

Many of us, including myself, naturally want to model our lives after someone. Many of us Christians want to be associated with important people of the faith. We look up to different people, be it Martin Luther, John Calvin, John MacArthur, our own pastor, etc. Some of these people may be great men because of the Lord, and may be great mentors, but they are still men. I don't believe we should be identified by any mere man's doctrine...

"Now I say this, that each of you says, 'I am of Paul,' or 'I am of Apollos,' or 'I am of Cephas,' or 'I am of Christ.' Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?...For when one says, 'I am of Paul,' and another, 'I am of Apollos,' are you not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase."
-- 1 Corinthians 1:12-13; 3:4-7

I think we can apply this to ourselves by saying. "Was Luther crucified for me? Was Calvin crucified for me? Was I baptized in the name of John MacArthur? Was I baptized in the name of [insert your idol here]?" I think we could even do it with denominations. "Were Baptists crucified for me? Was I baptized in the name of Presbyterians? Were Bible churches crucified for me? etc."

God's shown me that I am guilty of this in regards to people and mentors. Also, in the past, I have been so frustrated over denominational affiliation that I don't consider myself a part of a denomination. However, the Lord's also shown me that I have actually been proud that I am not part of a denomination, which is just the same as being proud of being affiliated with a denomination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home