[insert creative title here]

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Aslan Quotes

I thought I'd post some Aslan quotes from The Chronicles of Narnia. I'll try to provide the appropriate verse that goes with it. Surely C. S. Lewis is one of the greatest allegorical writers of all time. These are marvelous.

“Go and wake the others and tell them to follow. If they will not, then you at least must follow me alone.”

Amazing. Just like Christ asks us to spread the gospel of Him, yet if people do not listen, to "shake the dust off of our feet."

"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me." -- Matthew 10:37-38

“But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”

As we continue in growth in the Lord Jesus Christ, He will seem bigger and bigger to us. This part was in reference to Lucy seeing Aslan physically larger.

“Lucy went first, biting her lip and trying not to say all the things she thought of saying to Susan. But she forgot them when she fixed her eyes on Aslan.”

When we fix our eyes on Jesus, we tend to forget and let go of our frustrations with others.

"Are you not thirsty?" said the lion.

"I'm dying of thirst," said Jill.

"Then drink," said the lion.

"May I -- could I --- would you mind going away while I do?" said Jill.

The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its motionless bulk, she realized that she might as well have asked the whole mountain to move aside for her convenience.

The delicious rippling noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic.

"Will you promise not to -- do anything to me, if I do come?" said Jill.

"I make no promise," said the Lion.

Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing it, she had come a step nearer.

"Do you eat girls?" she said.

"I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms," said the Lion. It didn't say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.

"I daren't come and drink," said Jill

"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."

"There is no other stream," said the Lion.

This is quite a similar picture of the woman at the well with Jesus in John 4:

"There came a woman of Samaria to draw water. Jesus said to her, "Give Me a drink.' For His disciples had gone away into the city to buy food. Therefore the Samaritan woman said to Him, 'How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?' (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) Jesus answered and said to her, 'If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, "Give Me a drink," you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.' She said to Him, 'Sir, You have nothing to draw with and the well is deep; where then do You get that living water? You are not greater than our father Jacob, are You, who gave us the well, and drank of it himself and his sons and his cattle?' Jesus answered and said to her, 'Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life." The woman said to Him, 'Sir, give me this water, so I will not be thirsty nor come all the way here to draw.'... ...The woman said to Him, 'I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us.' Jesus said to her, 'I who speak to you am He.' "
-- John 4:7-15, 25-26

I believe this one speaks for itself. :)

There's even more biblical references here. This person has laid out many, but believe me, there is most likely even more. (WARNING: Contains spoilers!)

5 Comments:

  • I appreciate the comment "contains spoilers" - are you referring to Narnia or the Bible? :) Either way, the ending to both is familiar in society, accepting it is another matter.

    Take care. Come visit me if you feel so inclined. But thank you for blunt approach to an amazing message. I hope others hear it.

    Philippians 4:6-7

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 09, 2006 7:25 PM  

  • C.S lewis maintained that Narnia was not an allegory, but rather what would happen if there were infact a world like narnia, and they had their own story of salvation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 03, 2009 8:34 PM  

  • Can you tell me the small quote where Aslan says something about the past?( "what is past is...") not sure pf the rest

    thanks

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 15, 2010 9:11 AM  

  • "What is done IS done, there is no need to speak of it"

    Aslan to the others when Edmund rejoins them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 13, 2010 12:31 AM  

  • Just beautiful :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 18, 2011 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home